When the last shot faded black and white and Celine Dion's voice was silent, I was left with a void. An unjust neglect had left off the list of honorees this year to an artist who had much to do, at least indirectly, with the eighty-third version of the Oscars.
I mean, Satoshi Kon, film director and producer of some of the most original animated films of Japanese cinema. first thing I saw of Satoshi Kon was his participation as a writer in a short called "Magnetic Rose", 1995, part of the trilogy "Memories" I saw one night in the time spent Cinemax still good movies. At that time I had no idea who he was Satoshi Kon and all I had seen was Japanese animation "Spirited Away" by Hayao Miyazaki. In "Magnetic Rose" scrap astronauts found abandoned space station, surrounded by the remains of many spacecraft. The space station is inhabited by the ghost of an opera singer named Eva, who is dedicated to seduce unwary space travelers. It is impossible not to see Eva without evoking the Lady 3Jane of "Neuromancer" by William Gibson.
Here you can see the trailer for "Memoirs."
"Perfect Blue", 1997, is the first animated feature from Satoshi Kon. A psychological thriller that tells the story of Mima kirigoe, lead singer of pop group "CHAM!", Who decides to quit music to pursue acting. How Mima would imagine that his decision was going to hurl into an abyss where reality and fiction are confused and dangerous mirror image can become its worst enemy. This film is a clear example of the dark and twisted style of Satoshi Kon, who for some embodies the film version of Slipstream.
Darren Aronofsky, director known for "Requiem for a Dream," and this year for "The Black Swan, bought the film rights in the United States. Of an expert source (Jaime Valero Zonafandon ) I find that the objective was to film the scene in the bathroom with Jennifer Connolly in "Requiem for a Dream," but I think Aronofsky's relationship with this film is not limited to this . "The Black Swan," which Natalie Portman earned the best actress Oscar nomination and Aronofsky for Best Director and Best Picture for this year, has many elements in common with "Perfect Blue ", that way we the spectators were as confused as the protagonist by the vague boundary between what is real and what is imagined, dissociation of personality, color palette, and the oppressive environment ... I would even say that some of the scenes are almost identical shot by shot.
I'm not saying that "Black Swan" is an imitation or a plagiarism. This is a sincere tribute to an artist to the work of one of his colleagues. Aronofsky plays and recombine the ingredients of "Perfect Blue" with many of his own to make an original creation inspired shared with the same force and brutal emotional impact psychological.
Pictures of "Perfect Blue" can be seen here :
But the best known work of Satoshi Kon's "Paprika", 2006, about a psychiatrist who uses technology that allows the therapist to enter the dreams of others. Some say that Christopher Nolan was inspired by "Paprika" for his film "The Source" ("Inception", 2010), nominated for eight Academy Awards and won four of them.
is currently in production a version of "Paprika" with real actors, directed by Wolfgang Petersen, the director of "The Neverending Story" and "Enemy Mine." Here you can see a trailer for "Paprika" :
His other creations are "Millennium Actress" , 2001, a dream documentary on the life and work of a Japanese actress, who runs several centuries of Japanese history; "The Tokyo Godfathers" , 2003, his only Cutting film not fantastic, and animated series "Paranoia Agent" , 2004.
Trailer of "Millennium Actress"
Trailer "Tokyo Godfathers"
Trailer " Paranoia Agent "
Satoshi Kon died on August 24, 2010, without having yet reached age 47 old and leaving unfinished his last film, "The Machine of Dreams , a story whose main characters are all robots. In May he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and predicted a maximum of six months, six months unable to fulfill. Shortly before his death, Kon left a farewell message on his blog . I have no idea of \u200b\u200bJapanese, but thanks to Wikipedia, I found an English translation led me to a Castilian version . Really worth reading.
was his decision not to disclose his illness. For this reason, the news of his death was a huge surprise to his audience and followers. He died as they wish in their own home with his wife, after having said goodbye to his parents and his closest friends.
As if a ghost in this room with me, a slight shiver me look over your shoulder. This next June be 46 years old and, indeed, I have not made even one percent of what I came to do in this world. I cross my fingers for a more generous than the meager that it took Satoshi Kon.
0 comments:
Post a Comment